Friday, March 2, 2012

March 2 is Read Across America Day

In honor of Theodor Geisel's (a.k.a. Dr. Seuss's) birthday schools and libraries across the country celebrate Read Across America Day to encourage children to read. I am not sure if any Dr. Seuss books feature a librarian as a character, but a web search brought me to "We Love Sam" (go to p. 236 - it is very hard to read) an essay by children's librarian Starr LaTronica, which is included in the book Your Favorite Seuss, a collection of 13 Suess books, each with an introduction by someone whose life was changed by the story. LaTronica is, of course, referring to "Sam I am" from Green Eggs and Ham, a book so ubiquitous that when I read the Spanish version to my first-year students on the first day of the semester virtually all  identify it as a book they recognize.


1 comment: