Friday, May 12, 2023

Playing with Myself - by Randy Rainbow (yes, that's his real name)



 In this house we believe...

that if a gay man writes a memoir it is best to "read" it as an audiobook, read by the author himself. Listening to Rainbow's work solidified this belief. We laughed, we cried, we felt.

Of course my favorite part of his heartfelt memoir was hearing that the author (as part of his work as a cruise ship performer) also checked out books to passengers from the ship's library. His name tag read "social staff and entertainment".

I don't wear a name tag at my job as a university librarian. If required I would insist on having it read "Puddin' Tame". Since the university prides itself at respecting preferred names I imagine I could actually get away with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment